The conference officer is an at-large executive member position focusing on development, coordination, and management of conference initiatives.
The position was inaugurated in 2012. The term runs for three calendar years and is renewed at every third year from 2012. The term runs on the same cycle as the other two at-large positions.
The primary role of the conference officer is integration of the different ACL-wide activities related to conference organization and management, for example, coordinating the timeline across different conferences, improving current practices and policies of paper reviewing and selection, working with the SoftConf support team to improve conference management systems, and promoting activities that support the diversity and equity of the ACL community.
More specifically, the duties of the conference officer include:
- Working with conference organizing committees to develop and promote initiatives that aim to improve the scientific, technical, and educational impact of the ACL conference activities.
- Working with conference organizing committees to develop and promote initiatives that aim to improve the diversity and equity of the ACL community members at all levels of participation.
- Maintaining consistency across conferences by coordinating conference organizations and sharing experiences across different conferences.
- Maintaining updated and accessible conference guidelines.
- Reporting to the ACL Executive Committee on conference developments.
- Attending biannual ACL exec meetings. The summer meeting takes place at the ACL conference, typically one day before the main conference begins. The winter meeting is based on teleconferencing.
Current and Past IO Officers
- Yejin Choi (University of Washington, USA) - 2015-2017
- Jian Su (Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), Singapor) - 2012-2014