Apologies for Cross-Posting
Call for Workshop Proposals
36th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference, SIGIR 2013
Dublin, Ireland, 28 July-1 August, 2013
SIGIR is the major international forum for the presentation of new research results and for the demonstration of new systems and techniques in the broad field of information retrieval (IR). Proposals are solicited for workshops to be held at ACM SIGIR 2013 being held in TCD, Dublin, Ireland. Workshops will usually last for one day and will be held on Thursday 1 August 2013. Workshop topics will typically match those identified in the SIGIR 2013 general call for participation, but proposals concerned with other areas of information retrieval are welcome.
SIGIR 2013 workshops will provide a platform for presenting novel ideas and emerging areas in information retrieval in a less formal and possibly more focused way than the conference itself. The format of each workshop is to be determined by the organizers, but it is expected that workshops will contain ample time for general discussion and engagement by all participants - not just those presenting papers. Workshops that foster collaboration, discussion, group problem-solving and community building initiatives are particularly encouraged. Workshops that only involve the presentation of papers in a “mini conference” format are particularly discouraged.
Researchers and practitioners from all areas of the information retrieval community are invited to submit proposals for review. The organizers of approved workshops will be expected to define the workshop's focus, gather and review submissions, and decide upon final program content. Organizers (including co-organizers) are expected to attend their entire workshop and to provide an article for ACM SIGIR Forum summarizing the event.
Workshop proposals should include the following information:
1. Title, theme and purpose of the workshop.
2. Motivation for the workshop and appropriateness to SIGIR.
3. Planned activities and a tentative schedule of events.
4. Selection process for participants and/or presenters and maximum number of participants (if limited).
5. Names of Organisers
6. Names of potential program committee members (who would act to organise the proposed workshop) (if a program committee will be formed).
If the workshop has been held previously at SIGIR or another conference, then the organizers should indicate this and describe briefly past attendance and outcomes, and why another workshop is needed. The submission should also include a short biographical sketch of each organizer, describing relevant qualifications and experience.
Proposals should be submitted via the easy chair workshop submission webpage in pdf format and should not exceed 1000 words. (Note: The word count limit only applies to the information prescribed (1-4) above and not to Names of organisers or potential workshop programme committee members).
• Monday 18 February 2013 : Workshop proposals due (revised date)
• Monday 15 April 2013 : Notification of workshop acceptances (revised date)
• Sunday 28 July - Thursday 1 August, 2013 : SIGIR Conference (workshops to be held on 1 August, 2013)
SIGIR Workshop Co-Chairs