2014Q1 Reports: ACL 2016
ACL 2016 - report by Christopher Manning
In 2016 there will be a joint ACL and EACL conference in Europe/Middle East/Africa.
The initial conference coordinating committee was:
- Stephen Clark, EACL chair <email@example.com>
- Caroline Sporleder, EACL secretary <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mike Rosner, EACL treasurer <email@example.com>
- Lluís Màrquez, EACL chair-elect <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Christopher Manning, ACL past president in 2016 <email@example.com>
- Drago Radev, ACL secretary <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Graeme Hirst, ACL treasurer <email@example.com>
- Jian Su, ACL information officer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Priscilla Rasmussen, ACL business manager <email@example.com>
The committee email list address is: firstname.lastname@example.org . The committee membership needs to be updated for the changes in Exec membership.
The domain name http://acl2016.org/ has been reserved (but not yet populated).
The call for bids was first distributed in summer 2013 and the final call for bids was distributed in December 2013. The deadline for the notification to submit proposals was January 15, 2014. By this date, we had received 4 notifications of intention to submit a bid, and one other site was still considering whether to submit a bid.
Since that date, one intent to bid has been withdrawn. Nevertheless, overall, the hope is that we are in a good position to have multiple competitive bids. The next steps in the schedule (coming up soon!) are:
- March 1, 2014 - Draft proposals due
- Through March, 2014 - Feedback to bidders
- Apr 15, 2014 - Final bids due
- May 15, 2014 - Bid selected
- Second half of May - get selected bidder to set up rudimentary website
- Winning bid announced at ACL 2014 in Baltimore
- Discuss selection of general chair at ACL 2014