2012Q3 Reports: ACL-IJCNLP 2015
ACL-IJCNLP 2015 - report by Gertjan van Noord
In 2015 there will be a joint ACL-IJCNLP conference in Asia/Australasia/Oceania. In order to get the organization for the conference going, the following has been done:
- set up coordinating committee:
Dragomir Radev (ACL secr) firstname.lastname@example.org
Graeme Hirst (ACL treas) email@example.com
Gertjan van Noord (ACL past president in 2015) firstname.lastname@example.org
Priscilla Rasmussen (ACL business officer) email@example.com
Jian Su (ACL board) firstname.lastname@example.org
Keh-Yih Su (AFNLP president) email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Yuji Matsumoto (AFNLP vice president) email@example.com
Haizhou Li (AFNLP secretary) firstname.lastname@example.org
Gary Geunbae Lee (AFNLP treasurer) email@example.com
- request that an email alias for this committee is set up
- ensure we own the acl2005.org domain
Priscilla reports: "Yes, everyone, I have the domain name acl2015.org already for us to use."
- propose a call for bids (added below)
- send out the call for bids
At the time of writing, the call for bids has not been published yet, as per request by the ACL treasurer who is in the process of updating the local expenses template. The call will be published as soon as this update has been implemented, and I have green light from the current ACL president.
- for the next steps of the process, we follow the guidelines
http://aclweb.org/adminwiki/index.php?title=Conference_planning_schedule For the next half year or so, it is important to contact potential organisers, to ensure that we will have a number of promising bids to choose from.
Call for Bids
53rd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics and the 7th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing of the Asian Federation of Natural Language Processing
The Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL) and the Asian Federation of Natural Language Processing (AFNLP) hereby invite proposals to host the joint conference in the Asia-Australasia-Oceania region in July or August 2015.
At this time, we seek preliminary draft proposals from prospective bidders in the Asia-Pacific region. Promising bidders will be asked to provide additional information for the final selection.
The ACL 2015 Coordinating Committee, made up of representatives of the ACL and representatives of AFNLP, will select the General Chair and the Program Committee Co-Chairs for the conference. Draft proposals should identify a Local Arrangements Chair, who will work with the General Chair and the Coordinating Committee to develop a detailed plan and budget.
To facilitate conference organization, bidders may delegate many tasks of their choice to a Professional Conference Organizer and/or to the ACL Office (Priscilla Rasmussen). Handy bid guidelines, including expense and task list templates and additional useful links are provided at: http://aclweb.org/adminwiki/index.php?title=Bid_Guidelines .
Bid Highlights: Draft proposals include information on the following:
- Location (accessibility; conference venue, e.g., hotel or university; accommodation; dining options)
- Proposed dates. Religious and local national holidays should be avoided, as much as possible.
- Local arrangements team (chair/co-chair, committee, volunteer labor, registration handling; describing any experience the team has had in organizing previous conferences and the number of participants at those conferences)
- Local Computational Linguistics community
- Meeting venues (space for sessions, tutorials, workshops, posters, exhibits, demos, small meetings and registration)
- High-speed, all-ports-open, easy-to-use internet access
- Audiovisual equipment
- Catering, including breaks, receptions, banquet and entertainment (traditionally, dancing for participants at the banquet)
- Local sponsorships
- Local expenses estimates spreadsheet (template provided, linked from the Bid Guidelines)
Evaluation: Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria (unordered):
- Experience of local arrangements team
- Local CL community support
- Local government and industry support
- Accessibility and attractiveness of proposed site
- Suitability of proposed dates
- Adequacy of conference and exhibit facilities for the anticipated number of registrants
- Adequacy of residence accommodations and food services in a range of price categories and close to the conference facilities
- Adequacy of expense projections
- Geographical balance with regard to ACL and IJCNLP meetings in the Asia-Pacific region in the decade prior to 2015 (2006 Sydney, Australia; 2008 Hyderabad, India; 2009 Singapore; 2011 Chiang Mai, Thailand; 2012 Jeju, Korea; 2013 Nagoya, Japan)
November, 2012 - Final Call for Bids
January 31, 2013 - Notify intention to submit proposal
March 15, 2013 - Draft proposals due
Through May 1, 2013 - Feedback to bidders
May 30, 2013 - Final bids due
July 1, 2013 - Bid selected
The selected location for ACL 2015 will be announced at the ACL 2013 conference (Sofia, August 4-9, 2013).
For any queries please contact Gertjan van Noord, the Coordinating Committee chair. Please send notifications and draft proposals to:
Gertjan van Noord
CLGG, University of Groningen
PO Box 716
NL 9700 AS Groningen