ACL 2002 Report Instructions
This page contains instructions for ACL officials preparing reports for
2001. Please send any correspondence to
>. Completed reports are available here
Request for reports and invitation to exec-plus dinner
In preparation for this year's executive committee meeting, I need your
status reports on ACL activities during the last year and a description of
ongoing activities. I need a brief report, in plain ASCII format, of no more
than a few paragraphs in each assigned area. These will be used both as a
public record of ACL activities and as a basis for discussions at the ACL
Executive Meeting, the Exec-Plus Dinner, and the Public Business Meeting.
Please inform me as soon as possible if responsibility for your task has
switched to someone else (and also include their email address). I will compile
the reports and distribute them in advance of the meeting.
The content of the reports will be used to set agenda items for the meeting.
Therefore it is essential that they be received NO LATER THAN the deadline
and earlier if possible. Thus I urge you to take the time to prepare your
report well in advance.
Invitation: Officials who complete their report are invited to
attend the "Executive Plus" Dinner and present their report (details to be
Background: where reports are presented
Note: Everyone submitting reports will have an opportunity for short
presentations at both the exec-plus dinner and business meetings. Some reports
will also be presented at the exec meeting (by invitation). Please plan
presentations to avoid duplication of content. In particular, so that
the exec-plus dinner does not run late, please note the following points:
- Executive Meeting: This is a full-day meeting of the ACL Executive
usually held before the conference. The president or secretary usually invites
the people involved in current and future conferences to attend part of the
meeting and give a status report.
- Exec-Plus Dinner: This is an evening meeting which includes
everyone who has submitted reports, including representatives of all the SIGs.
This dinner has the dual role of thanking people who have contributed to
ACL, and also as a working meeting where some topics can be discussed in
a larger group.
- Business Meeting: This is a public meeting for the ACL membership,
and the ideal place for reporting ACL and SIG initiatives and for informing
the membership about the full breadth of activities in the association.
Consider putting your main points on a transparency (in a large point-size).
- be as brief as possible!
- assume that everyone has read the written reports
- focus on issues that warrant group discussion or feedback
- defer announcements of general interest to the business meeting
Last year's reports
In preparing your report, you may find it helpful to check last year's
reports. These reports, compiled by Steven Bird, are online at:
||Please bookmark this page and plan your report! :-)
|THURSDAY JUNE 20
||email your ASCII report to
with the subject line "ACL EXEC REPORT"
Please don't send anything but ASCII
|TUESDAY JUNE 25
||reports circulated - please read!
|SUNDAY JULY 7
|MONDAY JULY 8
|TUESDAY JULY 9
Note: The June 20 deadline is designed to give you as much time
as possible, but it is tight for me - if possible, it would be a big help
if you sent your report by Tuesday June 11. Thanks.
Suggesting other agenda items
If you wish to suggest specific agenda items to be covered at any of the
exec meeting, the exec-plus dinner or the business meeting, please summarize
the proposed topic in an email with subject "ACL EXEC MEETING PROPOSED AGENDA
ITEM" and send it to John Nerbonne
, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Below is the list of topics with assignments (guessed in some cases). If
more than one person is listed by a subject, the first person is asked to
ensure that someone on the team files the report on time.
- Reports from ACL management
- President's report (John Nerbonne)
- Secretary's report (Sandra Carberry)
- Treasurer's report (Kathleen F. McCoy)
- ACL European Chapter Chair (Donia Scott)
- ACL European Chapter Treasurer (Mike Rosner)
- ACL North American Chapter Chair (Diane Litman)
- ACL North American Chapter Treasurer (Dragomir Radev)
- Special Liason with Asia (Jun'Ichi Tsujii)
- Nominating Committee ( Philip Cohen, Wolfgang Wahlster, Eduard Hovy)
Journal and Publications
- General Conference Chair (Pierre Isabelle)
- Program Co-Chairs (Eugene Charniak,Dekang Lin)
- Local Arrangements (Martha Palmer)
- Tutorial Chairs (Hwee Tou Ng)
- Publication Chair (Dragomir Radev)
- Student Session Chairs (Alexander Koller,Gideon Mann)
- Workshop Chair (Walter Daelemans)
- Exhibits/Sponsorship Chair(Deborah Dahl)
- Demos Chair (Ronnie Smith)
- Journal (Julia Hirschberg)
- Book Reviews (Graeme Hirst)
- Squibs and Comments (Pierre Isabelle)
- Cambridge University Book Series (Bran Boguraev, Steven Bird)
- ACL Anthology(Steven Bird)
Special Interest Groups
- ACL-03 local arrangements (Kenji Araki)
- ACL-04 site selection (Mark Johnson)
- General (Mark Johnson)
- SIGDAT (David Yarowsky)
- SIGDIAL (Laila Dybkjaer)
- SIGGEN (Ehud Reiter)
- SIGLEX (Adam Kilgarriff) done
- SIGHAN (Ricahrd Sproat) done
- SIGMEDIA (Elisabeth Andre)
- SIGMOL (Dick Oerhle)
- SIGNLL (Walter Daelemans) done
- SIGPARSE (Harry Bunt)
- SIGPHON (Jason Eisner)
- SIGSEM (Patrick Blackburn)
- ACL WWW page (Dragomir Radev)
- ACL Archives (Richard Sproat)
- Other exec members not otherwise listed have reports to give?